USA issues Huawei a temporary reprieve

Reuters reported that Alphabet Inc's Google suspended business with Huawei that requires the transfer of hardware software and technical services except those publicly available via open source licensing citing a source familiar with the matter

Huawei Responds To Google's Ban [Updated]

However, the Chinese firm is restricted from placing new orders for parts and components from the USA firms to build new devices without seeking license approvals that are most likely to be denied.

As we reported earlier, Google revoked the Chinese company's Android license, being forced to do so by a Trump order. "If it should be the case that we can no longer use these systems (like Android). we would therefore need to be well-armed", Richard Yu, CEO of Huawei's Consumer Business Group, told German newspaper Die Welt in an interview published in March.

The news that Google has been forced to withdraw Huawei's licence for its Android operating is likely the biggest tech story of the year.

Ren put up a strong front on Tuesday, reiterating claims the restrictions will not hurt Huawei's prospects and no other company will be able to catch up with Huawei in 5G technology in the next two to three years.

What the USA government chooses to do is beyond Huawei's control, he added, and the most important thing at the moment is to keep Huawei's own operations running smoothly.

"We at Huawei understand the security concerns of European governments and we are ready to go for the extra mile", Liu said.

The US late last night scaled back the trade ban, granting firms a temporary licence to help minimise disruption for customers.

"In short, this license will allow operations to continue for existing Huawei mobile phone users and rural broadband networks".

By placing Huawei on a so-called Entity List, the U.S. government required American organizations to get export licenses before doing any further business with the Chinese corporation, thus bringing chunks of the equipment maker's supply chain to a sudden shuddering halt.

Huawei's USA sales collapsed in 2012 after a congressional panel told phone carriers to avoid the company and its smaller Chinese competitor, ZTE Corp., as security threats.

A Huawei spokesman said the smartphones had already been certified by Google before it announced any restrictions.

Asked how long Huawei may face hard times, Ren said: "You may need to ask Trump about this question, not me".

This means that owners of Huawei smartphones, including more than three million in the United Kingdom, could receive security updates weeks later than owners of phones supported by Google.

The license also allows disclosures of security vulnerabilities and for Huawei to engage in the development of standards for future 5G networks. Future versions of Huawei smartphones that run on Android will also lose access to popular services, including the Google Play Store, Gmail, Google Maps and YouTube apps.

As far as life after Google for Huawei, the company is apparently working on its own operating system. Washington's efforts to convince the European Union and its member nations to bar Huawei from their 5G networks have failed so far - although Australia has agreed to adopt such a ban.

The U.S. department of Commerce had already declared Huawei to be one of these countries several days before the order was signed.

"We can not be isolated from the world", Ren said. Huawei will continue to provide after-sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products, covering those that have been sold and that are still in stock globally.

"This is not just an attack against Huawei".

Altre Notizie