Elizabeth Smart outraged by planned release of one of her kidnappers

Wanda Barzee

Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office shows Wanda Barzee

In 2002, Elizabeth Smart was just 14-years-old when she was abducted at knifepoint by Wanda Barzee and her husband, Brian David Mitchell, from her bedroom in Salt Lake City.

Smart said Thursday she was shocked to find out about Wanda Barzee's prison release and she's deeply concerned because the inmate hasn't been co-operating with treatment.

"She is a woman who had six children and yet could co-conspire to kidnap a 14-year-old girl, and not only sit next to her while (she was) being raped, but encouraged her husband to continue to rape me", Smart said this week, according to CNN. She, however, did not believe that cleared Wanda's name as she, "in her own right, abused me as much as he did". Wanda Barzee will be released from Utah State Prison after serving her 15-year sentence for aggravated kidnapping and holding hostage Smart in 2002.

She said Barzee "saw me as her slave". She called me her handmaiden.

Mace also opened up about her aunt's housing arrangement after her release noting that, to the best of her knowledge, "no family can take her in or would take her in". On Tuesday, the board decided that she had served her full sentence allowed under the law. "I believe that she is a danger and a threat to any vulnerable person in our community". Williams did not immediately return a message seeking comment Thursday. "Only months ago, I was on my way to a parole hearing and was told she would never be let out before 2024".

Elizabeth Smart walks to her press conference at the Utah State Capitol in Salt Lake City. "I am a Christian", Smart said. Smart says it appears there is no viable, legal recourse she can take to stop the release of one of her kidnappers.

She was found nine months later, while walking with Barzee and Mitchell on a street in the Salt Lake City suburb of Sandy.

Mitchell is serving a life sentence after being convicted of kidnapping and raping Smart. He and Barzee were married at one point.

Barzee was convicted of both state and federal crimes, and transferred to the Utah state prison in April 2016 after finishing a federal sentence in Texas.

Barzee's family could also request a possible civil commitment to a mental-health facility, if that's warranted, Tolman said.

Smart understands that it's a long shot to keep Barzee behind bars, but regardless, she's pleading with anyone in power to hear her out and remember her story.

Federal agents have found a place for Barzee to live when she starts her five-year supervised release, said Eric Anderson, the deputy chief U.S. Probation Officer for Utah.

With just a few days until Barzee's release from prison, even members of her family have come forward to reveal that they are just as disturbed as Elizabeth is by this news.

Barzee was treated at the Utah State Hospital for about five years following her arrest, and testified in 2010 against Mitchell.

Altre Notizie