Of those, 49 tested positive for bacterial growth, with 36 per cent contaminated with E.coli, 36 per cent contaminated with Enterococcus spp and 14 per cent with Staphylococcus aureus. They found that 49 percent of the towels exhibited growth of bacteria normally found in or on the human body.
Repeated use of the tea towels in the kitchen may be putting the families at risk of food poisonings finds study.
S. aureus was more prevalent in families of lower socioeconomic status and those with children.
Tea towels in the kitchen could be responsible for food poisonings finds study.
FYI, nylon towels generally had less bacteria on them than cotton towels - likely because cotton is more absorbent, providing microbes more to feast on. Humid towels also showed a higher bacterial count when compared to the dry ones. Coliform and S. aureus were detected at significantly higher prevalence from families with non-vegetarian diets.
"Cross-contamination is happening in the kitchen, and those bacteria could reach our food and cause food poisoning", said lead researcher Susheela Biranjia-Hurdoyal.
The answer could be yes if you use the towel for many purposes, have a large family and are not a vegetarian, according to a new study of germs lurking on towels. Factors such as family size, type of diet, multi-usage of towels, among other factors and their impact on the growth of pathogens on kitchen towels was studied by researchers from the University of Mauritius which has led them to the conclusion that they can cause food poisoning.
Use different towels for different chores.
Wash hands with soap and warm water for 20 seconds before and after handling food, and after using the bathroom, changing diapers or handling pets.
The researchers said the presence of E. coli indicated possible faecal contamination and bad hygiene practices.
"Humid towels and multipurpose usage of kitchen towels should be discouraged", Dr. Biranjia-Hurdoyal said. This could happen if, for instance, someone used a kitchen towel to wipe up meat juices from the counter and another person unknowingly used the towel to dry their hands, Chapman said. "Bigger families with children and elderly members should be especially vigilant to hygiene in the kitchen", Biranjia-Hurdoyal suggested.