"The initial death due to the fatal virus was reported from a house in the Perambra area of the Kozhikode district".
It is noted that Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J.P Nadda taking cognizance of the issue, and also directed to constitute a team of six doctors to investigate the outbreak of the rare and deadly virus.
The World Health Organisation said fruit bats were found in a well near their house, along with rabbits being bred that had died recently. There is no need to panic, Governor pacified.
The advisory came in the wake of two suspected cases from Mangaluru and one in Kottayam. This time around, the outbreak has been detected in the Southern state, where the first victims were three members of a family in Kozhikode, followed by a nurse who took care of the infected.
However, the officials denied rumours of fears of the virus as of now.
An expert team from the National Centre for Disease-Control (NCDC), including its director, Dr Sujeet Kumar Singh and head of epidemiology, Dr S.K. Jain, and a high-level team from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIMS) are already in Kerala to take stock of the situation.
The authorities in Kozhikode on Thursday made a decision to take action against two staff members at the state-owned crematorium here for not cooperating with the conduct of the last rites.
"Travelling to any part of Kerala is safe". The virus is spread after the fruit bat throw consumed fruits which are later eaten by animals or human.
This medicine is the only one which could control the Nipah virus to some extent. "However if travellers wish to be extra conscious, they may avoid Kozhikode, Malappuram, Wayanad, and Kannur districts".
A travel advisory was also issued by Bahrain.
NiV was first identified during an outbreak of disease in Kampung Sungai Nipah, Malaysia, in 1998.
According to a health ministry official, the infection has a high mortality rate.
Human-to-human transmission of the virus has been recorded in previous outbreaks in India that killed as many as 50 people.
In Bangladesh in 2004, humans became infected with NiV as a result of consuming date palm sap that had been contaminated by infected fruit bats.