Michigan State University reach $724 million settlement with Nassar victims

The Latest Nassar victims to get ESPYS courage award

Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast rewritten or redistributed

Michigan State University has agreed in principal to pay $500 million to settle lawsuits brought against disgraced former sports doctor Larry Nassar by hundreds of women and girls who say he abused them.

BC-US-GYM-Doctor-Sexual Assault, 4th Ld-Writethru, 376Michigan State and Nassar victims reach $500M settlementAP Photo MIPS101, NY154Eds: Updates with USA Gymnastics and US Olympic Committee not covered by settlement.

"This historic settlement came about through the bravery of more than 300 women and girls who had the courage to stand up and refuse to be silenced", said John Manly, one of several attorneys representing victims, in a statement.

"Michigan State is pleased that we have been able to agree in principle on a settlement that is fair to the survivors of Nassar's crimes", said Robert Young, a lawyer for the uiversity. It does not address claims against U.S. gymnastics, the United States Olympic Committee, Bela and Martha Karolyi, Twistars, John Geddert or any other parties. Interim President John Engler last month told state lawmakers that settlements should not lead to an increase in tuition fees, the university newspaper State News reported.

Michigan State and lawyers for 332 victims announced Wednesday that they have reached a $500 million settlement. He was sentenced to more than 100 years in prison. Michigan State will set aside an additional $75 million in a trust fund for any victims who come forward in the future. It also doesn't say how Michigan State will pay the bill. The school was accused of ignoring or dismissing complaints for years about Nassar. John Engler, the former MI governor, was named the interim president by the board of trustees.

"It is very important to see resolution on the civil side, and I hope this provides some sense of relief and closure for the survivors". "That being said, my investigation is still open and ongoing".

"The litigation phase is over, but the fight for change and accountability, the fight to give survivors a voice and protect the next generation, has only just begun", she said.

Altre Notizie