THE HSE HAS said 18 women affected by the CervicalCheck controversy have died.
An audit of the programme revealed that hundreds of women have been affected.
So far, 203 of the 209 women or families in the original group who were subject to CervicalCheck audits have been contacted. The latest statement, which was released after 6pm on Monday evening, reads that "18 of the 209 women are deceased and where this is the case their family/next of kin are being contacted".
The HSE says that most women have at this stage been contacted and meetings have either been held, or have been arranged, to discuss the audit and the response with them.
Irish Health Minister Simon Harris has refused to be drawn on why Altnagelvin lost out in a bid to secure work under the national cervical screening programme which is now at the centre of a misdiagnosis controversy in the South.
The CervicalCheck scandal came into the public eye last month when Vicky Phelan, whose cervical cancer is now terminal, settled a High Court action against the HSE and Clinical Pathology Laboratories (CPL) for €2.5 million over incorrect smear test results from 2011.
The fallout from the Cervical Check controversy has seen HSE Director General Tony O'Brien step down, while a "scoping inquiry" has also been launched to investigate the situation.
"This is a board that we want to be skills-based - we want to be able to attract the best and the brightest to provide oversight and accountability within the health service".