Najeeb Ahmed case: CBI rejects cops' theory

JNU Student Najeeb's Disappearance Case CBI Seeks More Time For Investigation

Auto driver forced by cops to say he dropped Najeeb at Jamia: CBI

According to CBI sources, when agency sleuths grilled the auto-rickshaw driver he told them that he was forced to give a statement that he had picked 27-year-old Najeeb Ahmed, a student of M.Sc in Biotechnology, from the JNU campus and left him at Jamia Millia Islamia on October 15 last year. Underlining the "sensitive nature" of the matter, the counsel for the CBI, Nikhil Goel, requested the court for in-camera proceedings. The CBI informed the court that their investigation was underway and mobile phones of the nine suspect students has been sent to the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL), whose report is pending. The court had, on May 16 this year, directed the CBI to take over the investigation from Delhi Police.

Najeeb went missing on October 15 following an on-campus scuffle allegedly with Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) members the night before in Mahi-Mandavi Hostel of JNU.

"The court has heard the submissions of the parties". It reflects further steps taken in the matter.

He added that considering the sensitive nature of the case, it would be hard for them if the media reported about it.

The senior advocate, appearing for Najeeb's mother, questioned why did the CBI not arrest the students to extract information, claiming that it was a political abduction.

The next date of hearing is December 21. "We completely understand the anxiety and tension of the parents", the bench said. The counsel said the CBI's plea seeking consent from the nine people for a polygraph test was listed on Wednesday before a Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Court.

The CBI had earlier faced flak from the high court for its "complete lack of interest" and not showing any result in its probe into the disappearance of Najeeb, five months after being handed over the investigation. His mother Fatima Nafees had moved the High Court on November 25 past year.

The Delhi High Court had transferred the case to CBI in May 2017, when the Police and SIT - which was constituted by the order of Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh - could not do make much progress in the case.

Altre Notizie