Deputies identify three who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

FORT LAUDERDALE FL- OCTOBER 05 A portable generator gas can and bottles of water sit on a dolly as South Florida residents prepare for Hurricane Matthew

Carbon monoxide poisoning blamed for deaths of Irma victims in Florida

Three people died and four others were hospitalized Tuesday after suffering suspected carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator at an Orange County home, officials said. "I said hi to them, how ya doing, and they said yes".

Orange County Fire Rescue was called to the scene and they discovered two people deceased inside the home.

The name of the person who died has not been identified.

Four others, Louis Lebron Diaz, 13, Karis Colon-Feliciano, 16, Evette Diaz, 37, and Mirta Feliciano, 51, are being treated at Florida Hospital South. - Connect your generator to appliances with heavy-duty extension cords because connecting directly the home power supply could energize the outside power lines or bypass built-in circuit protection devices. The deaths remain under investigation, but deputies said there was a generator inside the home, which they believe was running at some point.

Carbon monoxide is called a "silent killer" because there are no odors or specific symptoms that signal a problem.

Hancock said Carter was found after his cousin came by the house around 1 p.m.to help clean up the yard.

Residents should take precautions when using these machines.

Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous, invisible, odorless and tasteless gas. Depending on the level of exposure, CO may cause fatigue, weakness, chest pains for those with heart disease, shortness of breath upon exertion, nausea, vomiting, headaches, confusion, lack of coordination, impaired vision, loss of consciousness, and in severe cases, death.

· Do not burn charcoal or gas grills inside a house, garage, vehicle, tent or fireplace.

Officials urge the public to always place generators outside, in a well ventilated area with nothing covering it. They should never be used indoors and should be kept away from open doors, windows and vents. The carbon monoxide alarms should be certified to the requirements of the latest safety standards (UL 2034, IAS 6-96, or CSA 6.19.01). Be sure to test the batteries.

Altre Notizie