Aussie welterweight champ Jeff Horn says nothing Manny Pacquiao can do will stop the Aussie retaining his belt when the pair meet in a rematch.
Horn beat Filipino Pacquiao in controversial circumstances last month.
The city of Brisbane played a key role in the staging of Pacquiao-Horn last July 2 at the 55,000-seat Suncorp Stadium, putting up a significant amount of money to meet Pacquiao's purse demand.
Horn was later endorsed as the rightful victor.
"This is now confirmed it will happen".
"I have had a meeting earlier today which has confirmed that Manny Pacquiao will definitely be in Brisbane this year for a rematch with Jeff Horn", Quirk told local media.
"I need the Lord Mayor to get into Jeff Horn's corner with me and with the rest of Queensland so we can secure that rematch here", she said. Cr Quirk advised that the details of a renewed contract are being "worked through", "but the good news is that Manny Pacquiao will definitely be here to fight Jeff Horn this year". The veteran promoter has reportedly penciled the rematch for November 12.
Many observers thought 38-year-old Pacquiao had clearly won and were outraged by the unanimous decision to Horn.
Quirk said Brisbane Marketing, the city council's major events subsidiary, would be re-engaged for negotiations with promoters Top Rank and Duco Events.
"We are absolutely in Jeff Horn's corner and the advice that I have received is Pacquiao is keen to have this fight and we are now working through and negotiating the details to secure that for Queensland", she said.