Norovirus Outbreak Strikes Toledo Area; 266 Sickened

Officials say Ohio norovirus outbreak tied to doughnut shop

Do-nut touch that doughnut! More than 200 people sickened by norovirus tied to local pastry shop

County officials are also investigating whether a dozen of the cases are tied to doughnuts the store provided to nearby businesses.

More than 400 norovirus cases have been reported in OH and the outbreak is being linked to Mama C's Donuts in Maumee, according to a Toledo Blade report.

Norovirus infection is characterized by nausea, vomiting, watery diarrhea, abdominal pain, and in some cases, loss of taste.

The Ohio Department of Health is providing the Toledo-Lucas County Health Department with assistance as needed, state health department spokesman said, including testing submitted samples.

Norovirus is a virus which can spread through food which came in contact with an ill or recently ill person or through contact with other infected people.

'We all missed work and feel like death!

The small business just got to be unfortunate to house the virus.

Mama C's voluntarily closed on Tuesday for cleaning and has yet to reopen. By the time the Health Commissioner met the reporters, the count was "closer to 24", according to reports.

A sign posted on the restaurant on Wednesday stated that it was closed because they were out of doughnuts.

The couple has owned Mama C's for 14 years and says their customers are apart of their family.

Anyone who ate anything from Mama C's Donuts & Coffee in recent days and developed symptoms of norovirus is asked to contact the health department at 419-213-4264 or 419-213-4161. The virus itself, however, can remain contagious for up to two weeks.

Walkup said she wouldn't hold it against Mama C's if she or her children get sick.

Norovirus is accompanied by typical stomach flu symptoms, usually lasting one or two days.

Norovirus, sometimes referred to as the winter vomiting bug in the United Kingdom and Ireland, is the most common cause of viral gastroenteritis in humans.

'People are pretty quick to shame them, but it can happen anywhere, ' she told WTOL. He says this incident is an unfortunate reminder that it is the beginning of virus season, and to always do not forget to wash your hands and clean hard surfaces. We are definitely going to give them a second chance'.

Altre Notizie