Amtrak engineer arraigned in fatal train crash

Brandon Bostian the Amtrak engineer involved in a fatal train crash two years ago walks to a police station in Philadelphia on Thursday to turn himself in to answer charges including causing a catastrophe and involuntary manslaughter

Engineer on Amtrak Train 188 surrenders to Office of Pennsylvania Attorney General and Philadelphia Police

Thomas Kline, an attorney for the family, said Thursday the state's prosecution of Bostian "ratifies the fact that there are important circumstances where citizens who are aggrieved and who follow the legal process can achieve justice".

Brandon Bostian, the engineer of the Amtrak 188 train involved in the deadly crash in Philadelphia on May 12, 2015, surrendered to the Office of the Attorney General and the Philadelphia police department at 10:30 am today.

Brandon Bostian's attorney brought him to a Philadelphia police station, where cops promptly cuffed him, The Associated Press reported.

A spokesman for Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro said an arraignment was set for later on Thursday.

In this August 21, 2007, photo, Amtrak assistant conductor Brandon Bostian stands by as passengers board a train at the Amtrak station in St. Louis.

The charges against Bostian go beyond what was included in the private criminal complaint ordered last week by Philadelphia Municipal Court President Judge Marsha Neifield.

Just minutes after leaving Philadelphia on May 12, 2015, on a Washington-to-New York run, the train accelerated to 106 miles per hour on a 50 miles per hour curve, derailing in a crash that killed eight people and injured about 200.

Philadelphia prosecutors decided not to charge the 34-year-old engineer. Besides eight deaths, the crash injured about 200 others.

But a judge acting on a complaint from a crash victim's family ordered misdemeanor charges filed.

Amtrak has taken responsibility for the crash and agreed to pay $265 million to settle claims filed by victims and their families.

Bostian himself has a personal-injury lawsuit pending against Amtrak. He had heard through radio traffic that a nearby commuter train had been struck by a rock. But the National Transportation Safety Board concluded nothing struck his locomotive.

"The best we could come up with was that he was distracted from this radio conversation about the damaged train and forgot where he was", NTSB chairman Christopher Hart said at a May 2016 hearing. The train reached a speed of about 95 miles per hour.

Altre Notizie